I have been toying with the idea of re-launching my blog for sometime to focus more on Lifestyle, Food, Entertaining and this European life that I am now living after dreaming for years about.
In September of this year I experienced a devastating loss and my biggest fear in life came to fruition. My father who has always been my favorite person in the world passed on. I am used to the $hit going down around my birthday (it is after all September 11th) but never in a gazillion years would I have thought that I would actually be spending this Birthday mourning the loss of the most amazing person I have ever known. But the shining light in all of this is that I have survived the one thing I thought that I could never have. And, I can breathe again.
So with that, inspired by Coach Jennie and her League of Ambitious Badasses, onwards to the 10 Most Amazing Things Happening…
1. That I have been blessed to have the most amazing father and that with his passing, I have experienced a rejuvenation in my own life. I have finally begun to live richer, deeper and take action to create my super star, big ol’ juicy dream life. His passing has become the ultimate game-changer for me. I know he would want me to rock my life and create a life beyond my wildest dreams!
2. I am an American living in the Netherlands. As part of the agreement for me getting to live here, I have to take the Dutch integration exam so that I can be a full-blown actual permanent resident. I have registered to take the exam in December. This is a HUGE lofty goal as Dutch aint no easy language. But I am going to pass this exam. With flying colours!
3. That I have gotten to meet some amazing new friends and have my very own little expat community. I’m most grateful that I met Jessi, my kindred American soul sister who like me has a Dutch partner and like me is navigating this crazy tulip-filled land with humor and grace.
4. I started mediating a month ago which is something that I have wanted to do for eons. I find that I’m a bit more-centered, calmer and a little less apt to sweat the small stuff. And as an added bonus, I am also drinking less.
5. That I can actually carry on a conversation in Dutch, is Amazing! As I am writing this I saw a neighbor outside and ran out to chat which I did entirely in het Nederlands. Pretty impressed!
6. I’m grateful for my partner who showed that he will be there for me in the good times and the bad. His support during my father’s passing was invaluable beyond words. I seriously do not think I could have handled everything as I did, without him.
7. My relationship with my brother is simply, amazing. And this year, out of nowhere, he got married to his partner whom I adore and my Dad was alive to see it! Grateful!
8. Amazing is that I am actually being paid to write. I have been a writer since I could first hold a pen. And I know that my career as a writer is growing every day. I know it is truly possible that one day soon, I will be writing about food and lifestyle for some fabulous publications! It’s inevitable! In the meantime, check out one of my newest party planning articles.
9. Last week I was fortunate to have a session with the fabulous Nan Akasha. It was invigorating, enlightening and a huge awakening. I rediscovered my dream of launching Candiland as a lifestyle brand. A European life focused on making everyday a bit more dazzling and delicious.
10. Lastly, I am most grateful for finalllly finishing my first novel this year! On August 1st, I finally got to write two of the most precious words in a writer’s life “The End.”
Thank you for reading and I hope you will tune in as mama has some big plans for this blog baby. And thank you to Coach Jennie for once again giving me that cathartic shove that I so desperately needed!